Talk to Us about your food allergies!
We take pride in sourcing wholesome ingredients, preparing recipes accurately and providing nutritional analysis and ingredient statements through our online menus and nutrition calculator. We are all passionate about serving students and every manager at every location on campus has completed AllertrainU, an Allergen & Gluten-free Food Service Certified Training. From general manager to front line servers, we work diligently to address students’ specific needs, especially those with food allergies, Celiac disease, or special diet needs.
A team approach led by you, our educated consumer, is the best preparation for a safe school year free of allergic reactions. We want to meet one-on-one with all of our customers who have individual dining needs to ensure that your dining experience is safe, delicious, and social. If you have a food allergy/special diet concern, please contact our Registered Dietitian, Nicole Rohrig, RD, CD.
Kitchen Areas, Stations, & Signage
- A designated allergen free “MyZone” area is located in all residential dining facilities. These areas contain foods and equipment such as toasters restricted to gluten-free foods.
- Simple Servings Station is also available to students at Harris Millis Unlimited Dining, offering a hot entrée at lunch and dinner that is free of the top eight allergens. For all of these approaches, measures are taken to reduce the risks of cross-contact with gluten or allergens as much as possible.
- Our menuing system provides ingredient statements specifically highlighting the big eight allergens: milk, eggs, shellfish, fish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, & soy. Guests may check on the presence of allergens prior to planning their meals using the online menu and nutrition calculator. The absence of an allergen listed on product signage is not a guarantee that the product is free of that allergen. The guest is responsible to communicate their allergy, consult a manager, and may see labels from actual ingredients upon request.
Individual Meal Planning
Students with specific meal related concerns are able to receive assistance on an individual basis, directly with our Registered Dietitian, Nicole Rohrig, RD, CD. Meetings with the Dietitian may include a review of the resources currently in place, a tour of the dining facilities, and menu planning.
Reasonable arrangements can be made if the student’s dietary needs are unable to met within the daily menu offerings. Please contact or visit the ACCESS Office for information on obtaining disability support services.
Managing Food Allergies at College
My Zone is a gluten-free, peanut and tree nut free area for students reserved with food allergies and other special diet needs. Located inside our three resident dining locations (Cook Commons, Harris Millis and Redstone Unlimited) our My Zones act as a pantry for students to be involved in their own allergen-safe meal preparation. These areas are equipped with a designated microwave, refrigerator, toaster, gloves and allergen-free prep surfaces. We ask our campus community to respect these spaces for those who truly need it.
Maintaining an Allergen-Free Zone
- Respect the need of others and all dining area
- Wash your hands, especially when changing zones
- Use the gloves provided
- Only use designated equipment and utensils for each zone