By protecting and improving our environment, the communities where we do business and the students we serve, UVM Dining makes every day a better day and every tomorrow a better tomorrow.

Frequently Asked Questions

I'm attending UVM in the fall and plan to live on-campus! What do I need to do?

Congratulations! Before you arrive in the fall you will need to complete the Housing and Meal Plan Contract; where you will sign-up for housing and select your meal plan. Don't worry about doing this before you attend summer orientation. Dining staff will present the different meal plans and how to pick the one that works for you. If you can't wait till then, take a look at the Meal Plans and Choosing a Meal Plan sections. Keep in mind the deadline to submit your Housing and Meal Plan Contract.

How do I choose a meal plan?

Not sure what meal plan would be best for you? Ask our Meal Plan Professor, or view tips on choosing a meal plan. Please note that students living on-campus must select their meal plan as part of the Housing and Meal Plan Contract.

I live off-campus. What dining options do you have available?

Many off-campus students eat one or more of their meals on-campus each day. Whether you're eating at one of our retail locations or in unlimited dining, our Off-Campus/Commuter Meal Plans will save you time and money. Need help deciding which meal plan best suits you? Ask our Meal Plan Professor! Or contact our Meal Plan Office at 802-656-2945. Looking to purchase an Off-Campus/Commuter Meal Plans? Meal Plans can be purchased on-line

What is the difference between Unlimited Dining and Retail Point locations?

Our four Unlimited Dining locations are pay one price at the door and are "all you care to eat." Verses Retail Dining locations where you pay for selected individual items. Retail Dining locations accept Retail Points, Cat$cratch, cash and credit cards. Unlimited Dining locations accept Meals, Retail Points, Blocks, Cat$cratch, cash and credit cards, plus Unlimited Access Meal Plan holders can visit these dining halls as many times as they like during the day, week and semester.

Can I make changes to my meal plan?

If you find that the plan you selected on your housing contract is not meeting your needs, then you can change your plan during our meal plan switch period. In addition you may add meal Retail Points to your to your account at any time on-line or by visiting the Meal Plan Office located at 406 South Prospect Street (Robinson Hall, 2nd Floor), or by phone at (802) 656-2945.

Why can I only change my meal plan during the meal plan switch period?

Meal plans are billed through the University, thus any meal plan switch must fall within the University’s billing cycle. Our meal plan switch period is posted on the website.

How do I add retail points to my meal plan?

Retail Points can be added to your meal plan account on-line or by visiting the Meal Plan Office located at 406 South Prospect Street (Robinson Hall, 2nd Floor), or by phone at (802) 656-2945.

Do retail points expire?

Any unused Retail Points that came with your First-Time, First-Year or On Campus Meal Plans will carry over from fall semester to spring semester, however they do not carry over at the end of the academic year and are non-transferable and non-refundable. Any additional retail points added to your First-Time, First-Year or Resident Meal Plans are yours until balanced is used.

How can I find out my account balance?

The cashiers at any of our dining locations can swipe your UVM ID and tell you're remaining balance. Account information can also be obtained by contacting our Meal Plan Office or on-line by registering with the CatCard's Office Webcenter.

I have nutritional and dietary concerns. What do I do?

At UVM Dining we understand that no two customers eat the same. Some of our customers have specific dietary needs related to medical, religious and/or cultural reasons. That is why UVM Dining has a Registered Dietitian on staff, offers specialized services in addition to a wide variety of foods that cater to our customers' dietary needs and preferences. Check out our Health section. 

What if I am sick, how do I get a meal?

If you are sick and unable to go to a dining facility, you can authorize a friend to use your ID and pick up a meal for you. Print the Meal Access Authorization Form, complete, sign and give to your friend along with your UVM ID. The transaction is for one Meal or up to $15.00 in Retail Points depending on the location used. One form is needed for each meal request.

What if I am unable to attend an all-you-care-to-eat-meal?

Contact Central Campus Dining Hall, Harris Millis Unlimited, Northside Dining or Redstone Unlimited Dining Hall at least 24-hours in advance, and we will be happy to make arrangements for a meal that you can pick up prior to the dining period as part of our “Meals on the Move” Program. Or try our Resident Eco-Ware Take-Out program available at any "all-you-care-to-eat" dining location.

Can I take food out of a Resident Dining Hall?

Our resident dining halls are designed to offer "all you care to eat" within the facility. Guests are more than welcome to finish their ice cream or piece of fruit as they exit. Or if you are seeking another dining option try our Resident Eco-Ware Take-Out program available at all our "all-you-care-to-eat" dining location for breakfast and lunch (only).

Can my roommate use one of my Meals?

No. Meals are designed and priced for the sole use of the person who has purchased the meal plan and are designed to cater to that person’s needs for an entire semester of dining. The Unlimited Meal Plans come with a set number of guest meals that enable you to bring someone into the Unlimited dining locations. Please note that using someone else's UVM ID is a violation of University Policy.

How are service hours determined?

Service hours are based on data collected from the Meal Plan Office. This information is then matched against other data such as comment cards, surveys and University classes/meeting schedules. All of this information helps us develop service hours recommendations, which are then presented to the University for approval.

What do I do if I lost my UVM ID?

View lost ID in the Meal Plans section.

Can I use my retail points at local restaurants?

Retail points can only be used at on-campus dining locations. Cat$cratch dollars can be utilized at local restaurants.

Where can I get local food on-campus?

UVM Dining is committed to serving local food wherever and whenever possible. View our local foods and sustainability commitments for the most current information.

Food Waste. What does UVM Dining do with leftovers?

Check out our waste reduction programs. 

The University of Vermont | Dining | 406 S Prospect St | Burlington, VT 05405 | tel. (802) 656-4664 | Contact Us